What does a High Court do?

October 25, 2023 admin

The High Court generally deals with cases that have complicated facts, or in money claims the amount being claimed exceeds £100,000, and £50,000 in personal injury cases.

The High Court, and the Court of Appeal, are located in the Roayl Courts of Justice building in Westminster. Although the High Court also sits at various hearing centres (often county court buildings/centres) at various times.

Only specially qualified judges have authority to hear claims. The High Court also requires advanced qaulification in order to present evidence, which is known as Higher Rights of Audience. All Barristers have this as do some solicitors.

The divisions of the High Court deal with different areas of law:

  • Chancery Division – deals with intellectual property matters, professional negligence matters, insolvency matters, disputes over trusts and wills, disputes between businesses and partners.
  • King’s Bench Division (formerly Queen’s Bench) – deals with mostly contractual and tort (civil wrongs) matters such as personal injury, negligence, breach of contract, landlord and tenant disputes, and wrongs against property (trespass etc).
  • Family Division – deals with all types of family litigation including child protection, adoption, and divorce.

Our note on the County Court is available here and on the Court of Appeal, here.

If you need help with a High Court claim, or have just been served with papers, we can help.

Don’t risk judgment against you. Call us on 0333 2400 944 or get in touch with us below for your free 15-minute consultation, where we can help you understand the risks you face and share what we can do to help.

Importantly, Amgen Law has provided this Insights article for information only and nothing in it should be constituted as legal advice. However, if you would like to discuss any of these issues further about a legal matter that is affecting you, please get in touch with us directly.